Understanding 2 Bipolar Type

Bipolar disorder is a complex condition that involves extreme shifts in personality and mood. The mood disorder has a spectrum of symptoms and afflicted individuals experience the condition in different levels of severity. The DSM IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV) outlines the criteria for bipolar 1 and 2 bipolar type.

Bipolar 2 Type

Those who experience bipolar type 2 have episodes of major depression at least once. In addition, they experience hypomania at least once as well. This type of manic depression can involve additional depressed states as the condition runs its course.

Hypomania

People who experience hypomania have great motivation, excelling at work and other endeavours. They can achieve well in social situations and in their careers. The state is quite positive and many fail to see hypomania as a particular problem.

Individuals who have episodes of hypomania may appear a too enthusiastic to others. The condition is recognizable to some, especially if they are quite close to the bipolar person. However, hypomania does not seem to interfere with the individual’s ability to function normally.

There is also a significant lack of psychosis in bipolar type 2 condition. Hypomania does involve marked changes in behaviour and mood but there are no delusions or hallucinations in this form of manic depression.

Depression

Many may consider the hypomania to be no problem at all. However, this emotional state of confidence and energy falls away periodically in individuals who have 2 bipolar type. Depressive states are detrimental to the person’s ability to function properly at home and in the workplace.

An individual who was once quite productive and motivated suddenly becomes sullen and ineffective. The depressed state can be caused by stressful situations including death, divorce and problems in the work environment.

Misdiagnosis

There is a possible threat of misdiagnosis in the bipolar 2 condition because the state of hypomania is quite pleasant and does not appear to be an aspect of any mental illness. Individuals who have this type of bipolar disorder may be diagnosed with depressive disorder, making treatment difficult

It is crucial that the proper diagnosis be made in order for proper treatment to go into effect. Bipolar disorders are not effectively treated with medications and therapies designed for depression. Proper diagnosis requires serious consideration and screening. This is a very important step to the successful treatment of bipolar 2 disorder.

1. sarah
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

i think im suffering from manic depression my mood swings are way out of controll and i just want the pain to go away. im not sure what to do i want to go to the doctors and get help but im scared what do you suggest i do?

2. Brian
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Sarah,

For a start off, sit in a comfy chair, close your eyes, take a deep breath, count to ten, and breath out slowly.

Ok, let’s begin.

There is nothing to be scared of by going to see your doctor. You will be given something to calm you down, he will recommend going to talk to some people who are more specialised in the area of mental health and, the good thing, is that accurate records will be made so your condition can be monitored. This means your journey on the road to recovery will begin.

Please see you doctor, then let us know how you got on.

Take care,

Brian

3. theresa curtin
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 1:55 am | Permalink

i was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 in feb 09 im still trying to come to terms with it. my doctor keeps changing my pills.but i would realy like to no more about the disorder as i have been given very little info on it

4. Mike Taylor
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Theresa, I recently have been diagnosed with bi polar type 2, feb 2010, i have been looking for different information and have some websites i have come across, let me know if you want the hyperlinks, how do you find the pills?, me personally see them as being smarties, however i think they start on a low dose initally so would be unfair to comment at this stage, it is strange coming to terms with it, just know there are many others too :)
    I hope rom your last post things are coming on well for you

5. Jeremy
    Posted February 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I am dating someone with stage 3, but I can’t seem to find very much information on it. If I do, it isn’t very helpful, and there is no straight definition. Is there anything I can do to help her, or make it easier so there is no disaster? She is medicated, and functions well. I just want to help prevent anything from going disastrously wrong.

6. Christopher Bailey
    Posted October 27, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

I am coming to terms with being recently diagnosed with bi polar disorder. I am over fifty years old!!

It appears to be chemical.. that is my body is not properly balanced and my brain malfunctions.. which makes me into a monster..
    I do not have a problem with this.. after all we do not get upset with a diabetic because their body does not produce insulin. We do not vilify someone with a thyroid problem. after all it is not their fault..

However with the hormones and chemicals that affect your brain and your personality it is more difficult.. After all we do not like the idea of someone messing with my mind..

I can only say that the chemicals are working for me.. Unfortunately the Doctors cannot do blood tests to measure what hormones are deficient it seems to be a matter of trial and error..

I wish you luck..

7. Iona
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:17 am | Permalink

I’m not sure if I have bipolar disorder, my moods are certainly very fluctuated and my depression produces frequent insomnia (It’s 5 in the morning!). But even whilst carrying out acts of anger I seem to understand that what I’m doing or saying is rash, ridiculous and entirely uncalled for, yet I continue to watch myself be overrun by the emotion. I have not yet been able to gain control although I always feel in the position of choice.
    The mania side isn’t such a concern to me, as it feels like a component of my personality, but people have commented on the excessivity of it for as long as I can remember.
    I also have a birth control hormone, the plastic straw that they put into your arm, which has side effects which mimick the signs of being bipolar, but this was put in in June and I have experienced definite episodes before that.

I am scared of myself and loosing control of my mind, as it is the one place that each of us can be ourselves; the protective cage of our thoughts and emotions- it is the individual. To think of this cage as being so malleable, and watching myself carry out actions from, what seems to be, a source of seperate power is terrrifying.
    I have found this website very useful and it felt good simply to write down a few feelings, Thankyou,
    I’ll head to the doctors.

8. Christopher Bailey
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Iona

From what you say you may have BiPolar Disorder.. Though I prefer to call myself a manic depressive.. Somehow Manic Depression is more emotional and reflective of how I feel than a clinical description of opposing extremes which could include insomnia and narcolepy.

Can I suggest that you look on the bright side? After all we are in the company of such brilliant people a Stephan Fry and Ruby Wax. They could not be the people the are without the exuberant aspect of being a manic depressive.

You say you are heading for the Doctors.. If they give you medication give it a try.. I have found that my anger (which appears to be similar to what you describe) is much less pronounced and easier to deal with now that I am using medication. Overall I prefer me on “happy pills” than in my raw condition..

Can I also ask if you have ever got to ending up in hospital.. either through depression or manic behaviour?(DO NOT put an answer on this public board).. if not I suspect that you are unlikely to loose your mind as anything that is used whilst you are in the community will not be so severe as to render you incapable..

C

9. Katrina
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

I have been treated for depression (1sr diagnosed as post natal anxiety) since 2007. There are times when I feel so happy and full of energy that I could bounce off the walls, I dont need much sleep and can cope very well with my work load and lifestyle, I feel the need to go out and socialise alot. Then I can only decribe a fog comes over me and even though I see that the house needs cleaned, washing needs put away etc, that I need to be on timefor an appointment I cannot will myself to do what needs to be done, this leads to fights with my husband who calls me lazy and rightly so he says he will not live like a pig, it’s like I just hear the words he is saying but don’t experience any emotion to them, I don’t get upset it’s like I can’t feel. I’ve tried telling this to me G.P and my social worker but basically we’re left on our own to cope. I’m currently on 300mg of venlafaxine a day, it does not cure the foggy episodes, although it does appearto control my anxiety. My G.P has told me to stop researching my condition because I’m like a medical student who self diagnoses! I don’t know were to turn.