Treatment for Resistant Depression

Depression is an extremely serious metal condition. Individuals of all ages can become affected by depression, women more so than others. The distinct cause for this condition is not completely understood at this time. Depression must be treated at the opportune time to ensure that is the ideal result is achieved. The majority of individuals who are afflicted with depression generally recover fully and go on to lead normal, happy lives. However, in some cases a patient may not respond to two or more methods of treatment such as psychotherapy, medication, electroconvulsive therapy, etc. These patients are suffering from resistant depression.

Causes

When depression is resistant it may be the result of drug or alcohol abuse, personal relationships with your spouse or other members of your family, chronic pain or an underlying disorder. Any of these factors can hinder the effectiveness of medication and other methods of treatment.

Research And Treatment

For patients who are resistant to methods of treatment such as electroconvulsive therapy, psychotherapy and medication, there are other forms of treatment that may help with your condition.

A research team at Emory University developed deep brain stimulation, or DBS. Many believe that during the DBS method, the region of the brain known as “Brodemann area 25” is overactive, metabolically speaking. Experts conducted studies to find out if there is some way to chronically stimulate the area deep in the brain and modulate brain activity to help those that suffer from resistant forms of depression. They found out that the deep brain stimulation was connected to striking and remission was sustained in many sufferers. The study was conducted with participants who had suffered from the resistant disorder for a year and a half to ten years. After the participants received treatment regularly for two months, 83% reported noticing a decrease in their depression symptoms by as much as 50%. Therefore, DBS was proved effective.

Some patients find certain drug combinations to be helpful. According to an array of experiments, a combination of tricyclic antidepressants and serotonin reuptake inhibitors have proven to result successful in reducing depression by as much as half.

Some studies have shown lithium augmentation to be effective in treating treatment-resistant cases of depression, reducing symptoms by as much as 50%. Another form or treatment is vagus nerve stimulation, or VNS. VNS is FDA approved and proven to be effective in treating patients who suffer from resistant depression. However, VNS is still less common than electroconvulsive therapy.

All forms of depression are dangerous and should be treated under the supervision of a qualified medical professional.

1. G.Passerelli
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

My son who is 20 has suffered with depression for 17 months, after trying 9 different med.. with no results, he is presently getting ECT. He iso n his7 treatment and no changes, off all meds and he feels worse..any one have any suggestions???

2. Brian
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Hi,

You say your son has suffered for depression for 17 months and has been on 9 different forms of meds? That is a lot of different types of pills in a short period. The medication needs a long period of time to work and the doctor/psychiatrist needs also to fine tune the dosage over a long period as well.

I would suggest slowing things down a bit and start again. Get professional advice on what medication he should start on (after a thorough evaluation of his condition) and then give it time.

Whilst your son is on the new meds make sure he takes it all the time, possibly get some therapy and try to alter his lifestyle to help remove some of the causing factors of his depression.

Hope you can sort something out.

Take care,

Brian

3. admin
    Posted March 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I would certainly agree with the above comments, and its also worth noting lifestyle changes to diet and excersise..

4. Stephen Harshaw
    Posted March 23, 2009 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

I’ve suffered from Depression for most of my adult life. I’ve been treated with three antidepressants since 2002, Fluoxetine 40mg, Sertraline 250 mg and most recently Duloxetine 60mg. None have been effective in the long run, I have a brief Honeymoon period of 3-4 months where I feel well then the Depressive symptoms return. Currently I’m suffering from Bruxism, restless legs, poor sleep, anorgasmia. Any ideas anyone? I lost my Nursing job earlier this year after prolonged sick leave! Ironically I’m a Registered Mental Health Nurse.

5. Brian
    Posted March 24, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Hey Stephen,

Welcome to the discussion!

You are a registered mental health nurse??? Come on now, you know the theory, just put it into practice.

Medication.
    Therapy.
    Family and friends, etc.
    Keeping yourself busy (activities, hobbies, etc).
    Keeping yourself healthy (diet, exercise, etc)

I think you know what I am talking about but everyone expects you to be able to do all that naturally because you’re nurse.

Well, we are your kick up the butt. Time to practice what you preach.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Brian

6. treatment facilities
    Posted April 28, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

There are a lot of treatment facilities that would help you with your depression most specially those that involves drug and alcohol addiction on their lifestyle. Counseling and therapy are the most appropriate method of treatment for those who have problems on depression and anxiety. Family intervention is very important in these matter. Sometimes the person who is depressed only needs the support and concern of his or her loved ones in order to lessen the burden he or she carries.

7. Stephen Harshaw
    Posted May 6, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I went to see my Consultant last week, he decided that I should take Quetiapine, an “atypical” anti psychotic which is also licenced for the treatment of Bi-Polar disorder. I declined to be turned into a fat zombie and am now pursuing a “talking therapy” minus any more anti depressants.

8. william
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

hello I have had depression for 14 months. I am currently on escitalopram.Things were going good,i was getting out,a good diet.work was getting better,only one thing hindered me.I couldn”t enjoy myself with the grandkids.In the last month depression as started again and last i got upset because i felt i am burden to everyone.My doctor has now put me on reboxetine as well.

9. Stephen Harshaw
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I found that antidepressants only worked for me for 1 to 2 months then the depressive symptoms returned, I hope you’re talking to someone about the way you’ve been feeling? I have an excellent GP who listens and also gives good advice, please give the combination of medication a chance .

10. Maria
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I’ve been suffering from clinical depression for the past seven months. Tried citalopram, then fluoxetine which did not work. I am on 75mg dusolepin, seem to be working, I’ve been on it for 4 weeks now, I really want to do it the natural way.

Been taking fish oil, vitamin B6 50mg and will take magnesium taurate 400mg which apparently proven to help with depression. Also planning to buy the alpha stim gadget which you stick on your ear lobes and gives electrical current that helps build serotonin. It is quite expensive but will try anything just to feel better. Also planning to do acupuncture. Someone also commented that marijuana can also elevate mood but only short term.

11. Stephen Harshaw
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t recommend marijuana, I’ve seen too many people damaged by it. I haven’t taken any Antidpressants since April and I’m the best I’ve been since 2002. I’m now looking for work again, my sleep is much better. The Depression is still there but I’m keeping a lid on it. One of the Psychiatrists I saw told me that Depression will always be a part of me, it’s been a major component of my life since my teens, I’m now 49.

12. Karen
    Posted September 18, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Hi all,

I have stumbled upon you today. I have been working in acute mental health for the past 6 years. But, I have been on sick leave for the past 16 months. I had an oocie health meeting today and the reality is it looks like i’m going to be asked to leave work. I have really fallen apart and cannot see me becoming well again. Im struggling with my finances, every day living etc. How do you get on please?

13. Stephen Harshaw
    Posted September 21, 2009 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Whatever you do do not leave/resign. Make them dismiss you. You should request that you be redeployed to a less stressful environment, if they refuse to do this and dismiss you or you feel “forced” to leave then you have recourse to appeal or an employment tribunal.
    I get by with a lot of financial help from my family. However, i’m currently looking to get back into work as I feel well at present.
    To recap
    1, Put your health first(this is the most important one)
    2, Request redeployment
    3, Do NOT resign
    4, Appeal your dismissal
    5, If you’re well enough go for an Employment tribunal

14. stephen Harshaw
    Posted April 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Is it possible that all information about me can be removed from here? Stuff I’ve posted is being used by an ex partner to “get” at me on a networking site

15. Kim
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

The only thing that I have found to work is marijuana. Just a little and it takes it away. Too much and you will be doing your self more harm then good. Just start out with 1 or 2 puffs and then give yourself about 30 min and if it is not still helping then 1 or 2 puffs and stop again for 30 min. Keep doing that till you find out your dose. But for some people this doesn’t work at all it will make you worse. But if you do try it and you get energy, stop your stomache from hurtting, stop the feeling of not being able to breath, stopping the running thoughts, and over all makes your mood better then it is working. The side effect is that you get a little buz off it at first but after a while if you keep with your dose that will mostly go away too.