Have I Got Depression?

Have you been feeling kind of down and out-of-sorts lately? You have more than likely asked yourself this question, “Have I got depression?”.

It does not matter if you do not fit the textbook description for depression. If you are feeling sad enough that it has become somewhat of a concern, consult your doctor or a trusted psychologist to determine what has got you feeling blue.

Some of the signs to look for if you think you may be suffering from some type of depression are:

* Getting a full night of sleep only to wake up still feeling tired
* Disruptive sleep, which may or may not include disturbing dreams
* Waking up early and not being able to fall back asleep
* Not enjoying things that once brought you great pleasure
* Not being able to concentrate throughout the day
* Experiencing excessive energy or anxiety
* Easily upset
* Short tempered or irritable

Not everyone suffering from depression will exhibit all of these symptoms, while others may have symptoms that are different all together. However, if you are truly depressed, one or more of these signs are familiar to you.

Although depression is classified as a mental disorder, is can also have several physical symptoms as well. The emotional effects of depression may actually result in physical effects. Knowing this is vital to understanding your depression and any symptoms you may be experiencing.

When you are depressed, at least some of the following will be familiar to you:

* Feelings of misery and sadness
* Feelings of exhaustion and fatigue
* The smallest tasks seem impossible
* The need for isolation or the fear of loneliness
* Feelings of failure and guilt
* Suicidal thoughts
* Loss of hope
* Lack of confidence
* Physical pains with no detectable physical cause

Due to the broad scope of these symptoms, many people can become confused about exactly what depression is and what ailments and conditions are related to the disorder. It is difficult to find an explanation that covers all of the symptoms of depression, both physical and mental.

If you think you may be suffering from depression, talk with a medical professional who will paint a clearer picture for you of the disease. After visiting your doctor, you should have a better understanding of the affects that depression has on how you think, how you are affected biologically and how depression affects you physically. You doctor should be able to enlighten you on what the cause of your depression might be as well.

1. charlotte
    Posted January 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I am too young to go to my doctor, i dont want my mum to find out and i really dont know what i am going to do, if i went to see a doctor, would my mum find out?

2. Brian
    Posted January 25, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Charlotte, I am just another follower of this site, but as an ‘older’ sufferer of mental health problems I would suggest trying to get your parents involved with your problem. My main help through my many years was my family and friends. Try to involve them, not avoid them.

About your doctor. Before going down that route…. put in here your age and what country you live in (no other personal details please because this site is open to everyone) and the guys on this site and myself can see if there is a freephone number to a helpline regarding young people and mental health problems. These experts will then give you advice on what to do next.

Good luck with whatever you try and keep us informed of how you do.

Brian

3. charlotte
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 12:52 am | Permalink

im 15,
    live in the uk

4. Brian
    Posted January 26, 2009 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Hi Charlotte,

Glad to see you came back for some advice… that always helps.

In the UK there is a big mental health charity called Mind, their phone number is 0845 766 0163 and here is the page I got it from…….
    Start there and see what they recommend.

This site is monitored closely but be careful of what help you accept. I’ve given you a number and website of a charity involved in mental health care.

You take care,

Brian

5. stacey
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

i think i’ve suffered for nearly 2 years, can’t go to a doctor coz my mum works there. don’t think i can tell my parents without them laughing at me and my so called friends just tell meit’s nothing. where can i go?

6. Brian
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Stacey,

You can see my comments above to Charlotte, and I suggest the same for you.

Let’s start with where you live and I’ll see if there is someone nearby to talk to for some good advice.

Just put in your country (if you live in the States can you put your state please)… nothing else!

You take care,

Brian

7. Mick
    Posted March 17, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

I kinda feel how stacey is. It’s been going on with me for about 2 years now. at first i just thought it was nothing and would just shake off. That didn’t happen. I’ve tried to reach out to people like my friends but just tell me not to be daft i’ve got nothing to be depressed over they ask why i am but i don’t have a answer nor reason what i can think of. guess its hard for them to understand. Starting to really get to me these days. just don’t know where to turn or what to do..

8. Claire
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 8:04 am | Permalink

To the other young people who have posted on here. I’m 18 and also just coming to terms with my depression. I visited my doctor for the first time a few days ago and have been referred to a specialist young persons counsellor. I’m not trying to be hypocritical because I haven’t yet told my parents either, but it does help to talk to someone, whether its a doctor, parent, friend or someone at school. Make a list of the people you can trust the most in this world and start from there. Sometimes people just dont understand how much loneliness can hurt you or affect you mentally. I also found that writing anonymous letters to former friends has helped me. You can get everything you are feeling out onto paper and then destroy it however you want.

9. lowri
    Posted June 1, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

i’ve decided i want to tell someone that i think i may have depression but i dont really like talking and i dont know what to say any advice

10. admin
    Posted June 3, 2009 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Hi Lowri

I would say somthing along the lines of, ” I have been doing some research as I have not really been feeling myself recently and all the signs and symptoms are pointing towards depression” If the person you are telling is going to judge you because of the word “depression” then shame on them !!

11. lowri
    Posted June 3, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

thnxx, i told sum1 ani way i rote it down an i feel suprisingli betta cos i know i can now get help

but i also feel as if i shudnt av sed anithin coz its not important enough an now i feel really guilty

is this a normall feeling for depression sufferers?

12. gavy
    Posted June 19, 2009 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Hi,

One symptom of depression may be losing interest in sex. However, many may not disclose this just for the sake of embarrasement and it may further lead to depression. I will suggest once you are feeling depressed you should disclose all your problems to a doctor.I personally faced this problem and immediately started recovering normailty in my sexual behavious after going through treatment.

13. Marie
    Posted June 28, 2009 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Hi,
    My husbands mother passed away 2 years ago and since then he has changed a lot.
    From reading the list of symptoms and feelings you describe on “Have I got depression?” I can say that he has the majority of them.
    What can I do to help him? I don’t know if he’ll go to a doctor?

14. Paula
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I have been dating this guy for 5 years and we love each other very much. Lately he has not been himself and our relationship had changed drastically. He thinks that he suffers depression and anxiety disorder and he has a family history with these disorders. I read a lot about the symptoms and I agree with him. He has changed for the last year or two. This is very hard on me because it had changed our relationship very much. I feel bad for him and would like to help him and save out relationship What should I do?

15. nikki
    Posted June 29, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

ive been feelin horrid for nearly 2yrs.. these past 6 months its got worse.. im extremely short tempered but then in a second i can b a crying mess.. im hardly sleepin either now.. to make matters worse im makin my partners life hell.. dnt get me wrong he is there for me but i kno its not fair on him n it makes me worse..
    i kno i hav depression as ive had it before.. im 21 but suffered at the age of 13.. ive had the tablets before and also the counceling (sorry if spelt wrong).. i think the tablets worked but the other never..
    im scared to go to my doctors as i feel like they think ‘oh god its her again’..
    i want to fight this but dnt kno how.. please help

16. Nicky
    Posted June 30, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I have the same problem

17. kieran
    Posted June 30, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

im 13 i get upset i am worried i don’t want to tell my parents especcialy my mum i am worried that she will get deppressesd as well as i am i don’t know who to go to

18. Sona
    Posted July 12, 2009 at 2:21 am | Permalink

I believe I may have depresion. Every so often the simptom that i recognize very well is that even though i have up to 8 or 9 hours of sleep I wake up tired, sad and just want to hide from people. I go to the gym in hopes to get some energy, but it does not help. My mom is diagnosed wth depresion. I do not want to be taking any meds for depresion. What are my other options?

19. sarahg
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

hi i am sufferer of depression
    and i feel that it has goten worse
    i done a test on the net and it said that i have bipoler
    my fiance dont want to talk about it because he dont seeing me down and depressed
    i have energy bursts and thrn i go back to rock bottom again for hours
    im scared , what do yu think ?eel better
    the doc put me on pills about 2years ago and i have been on o them since
    they put me on 40 mgs of the happys

help
    can you give some advise on how to

20. shannon
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

hey i think im a sufferer of depression as i have started feelin really low and i am beginnin to hate myself more and more, i also feel like im no use to any one but im afraid to tell anyone.

please can you help me?
    thanks

21. maryk
    Posted August 22, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I have suffered from depression for so many years. I have been to docs a few times, have been prescribed antidepressants that maybe took the edge of it but I honestly feel I have been depressed most of my life. Some days i feel I am just hangin in there just by my finger tips. I am married have 2 wonderful children of 10 and 14. I feel I have always to put a happy front on infront of my family and I feel this is getting harder and harder to do. In my family life I am constantly worrying about the usual stuff although lack of money is the big thing at the moment. I cannot talk to my husband as he tells me to give myself a shake and get on with it. I have really no-one to talk to as I am a very private person and do not wish to burden any one else with my problems.

22. J
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I think ive been suffering with depression for 5 years on and off, recently its got worse i cannot face getting up, just wana curl up in my duvet all day every day.
    Problem is i cant seem to get myself out of this rut, feel worthless, like im not able to do anything, im gradually pushing all my friends away from me due to my mood swings one minute im irrational next irate and snappy to breaking down in tears and my constant want to be alone.
    How can i stop myself being so numb??? need help dont want meds feel as though im alone!!!
    xx

23. John
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I’m 29 and think i’m starting to slip into depression, i have suffered with it several times over the years and have tried to take my life on several occations. just recently my partner suffered a brain hemorraghe and things have been really hard, she doing really well now, but I don’t seem to of got over the shock of nearly lossing her and all of the issues of the night it happened !! I find myself lossing my temper so easerly at the min with my children for no reason, when my partner came out of hospital, i drempt all the time that she will no longer want me, I’ve put a little weight on of late but i’m at the gym trying to lose it, even tho i am i still feel discusting and very low about myself, the only reason i still go to the gym is that my partner makes me because she see it as some alone time for me, but to be honest i just can’t ve arsed !! I know whats happening to me, but i don’t want to say anything to my partner as she has been through to much and still has a long way to go, plus she will blame herself for and its nothing she done, she really is the best thing to ever happen to me, but i just don’t understand while i feel like this, i know i have alot more pressure on me and the moment, but i just don’t feel like i’m doing anyone any favours !!!
    Sorry to go on, i think i just wanted to say how i’m feeling without being jugded, perfetic i know !!
    Any advice on what would be great or just to chat, take care all

24. admin
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Hi John , I know you say you cant be botherd going to the gym , but diet and excersise play a huge role in helping people to recover from depression, you must really try and speak with her on an open level and tell her how you feel. Failing that you must find someone else to talk to !!

25. David
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I have just read the symptoms page and i have pretty much all of them. Im 25 and i think i may have been suffering for close to 9 yrs but i always tried to put it to the back of my mind and pretend im ok.

I think it stems from the fact i have low self esteem and confidence. I find myself lying a lot to everyone in regards to what i have done, what i have achieved and just silly things i know i shouldn’t lie about but do.

During uni i went really downhill i was lying to a lot of ppl, isolating myself and i felt lousy. It stopped me developing friendships and therefore i left uni having got a degree but no friends and not many happy memories.

Not being truye to myself has caused a lot of problems….i chose to do business at uni even though i had no desire to work in an office because i wanted to please my parents. it has therefore meant that since leaving uni much of the work i have done has been based in an office and this has contributed to my sadness in the last 3 yrs.

This year i joined the police service as a police officer and i was excited before going in but i had the same thoughts in my head that i would fail and alas i left in August. I think i could have made a decent policeman but i am damning on myself and it means i dont perform….

I have currently just started another office job just temping for a while. I feel like a loser as everyone around me is doing well and seems happy and its like i live in my own head.

When i was younger i used to be confident and had lots of friends but now i dont think i have any friends apart from my girlfriend and im scared that if i dont sort myself out soon i may lose her too.

Ill admit that recently i have had suicidal thoughts. The thing is im scaring myself because i dont know if i would actually go through with it……

I know i need help having put it off for all this time…i just feel lost and confused. Sorry to have waffled on but i really felt i needed to vent…..

26. John
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Thanks admin !
    I went home last night and spoke to my partner, it came out because she wanted to know what was up with me, and was it beacause of her and did i want to leave her !! Because of this I had to talk to her and tell what was really going on, she was fantastic !! I should of known that she would be!, as we always discuss everything and never keep secrets from each other !!I also had a quick chat with my counciler who helped me through my real bad patch a few years ago when my x left me for someone else and tuck my little boy away from me, it was really hard time for me as i raised my little boy for nearly 2 years while she was out every night not coming home or caring about our son ! but that is in the past now and thanks to my doctors and solicitors i get to see him every weekend. So starting tonight, i have a appointment with my doctor and my couciler to get me out of this slump before it get any worse, and with help from the women I love, I’m sure i’ll get there!!! thankyou for listerning !!!

27. admin
    Posted October 7, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Good for you John !!! I am really pleased for you. Karl

28. John
    Posted October 15, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Hi David,

I can understand where you are coming from and by the sounds of it berried so much deep down over the years always trying to please everybody else, and trying to live the life you think everybody wants to hear !! Trust me in the long run it only messes you up and you’ll end up doing something you really don’t want to do !! You should like you have a good partner by your side but I’m sure you wouldn’t even know where to start telling how you feel !! I was alot like that, and I found the best thing was talking to your doctors or a good councilers as you need someone who does’nt know anyone in your life at won’t judge you over any matter, however bad you may feel it sounds !! Then once you have opened up to someone you’ll be suprised how much easier it will become to talk to other people, like you girlfriend, close friends even your parents !! Just don’t sit and blame yourself and beat yourself up, call your doctors today and make steps to getting better, it really is the only way !!! take care mate !!!

29. Lucy
    Posted November 11, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

hey everyone, Im 22 and so glad to see im not the only one feeling like this…im constantly tired even when ive had a good nights sleep..I cant seem to focus..im really irratiable and cant seem relax. i just feel like cryin some days. some days are worse than others. If im honest i think i have been fightin this for a while i have 2 young children, and i suppose in my mind i dont want a doctor to tell me i am sufferin from depression, because then maybe im failin my kids in a way…this is the reason i have not been to my GP, and the fact i dont really wanna open up…That might sound silly to some ppl but if anyone can give me any advice this would be great…thanks guys

30. Pete
    Posted December 14, 2009 at 10:14 am | Permalink

The problem is that depression is such an incredible up and down condition, that you never know when it’s over, sometimes a light shines through and I think things really aren’t so bad, then the next day it all floods back and everyday is a struggle to stop myself slipping over the balcony and onto the street 33 floors below. I could take drugs to even it out, but then I worry just where it’ll level out to, maybe it’s the up and down that’s keeping me alive

31. Jane
    Posted December 30, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I have been suffering with Depression for over 7yrs now i’m on tablets and have just started councilling after waiting 6yrs for it. all my problems stem from my childhood. I have recently had another breakdown and really struggling with it this time. I can’t seem to tell my mum and dnt want my child 2 find out. I’m 31 live in uk and all i want is to feel normal and have a happy life. I have pushed away the ppl who care for me as i dnt want them seeing me like this again. I’m scared and feel very alone. Can anyone help me how i can improve my mood and feel happy?

32. Charlotte M
    Posted January 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

hi, i have been feeling really sad and upset and i would just cry for no main reason and have felt like everyone would be better without me? i have searched depression and most/nearly all of the signs i have, i dont no what to do, would this be depression?

33. chloe
    Posted January 6, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

i have all of the symptoms listed above. i cant be bothered to do any house work, i constantly feel tired, i cannot get to sleep at night and when i finally do i dont want to get up. i also feel worthless, feel guilty that i dont take care of my babies properly and get angry at the slightest thing. i snap at my friends for small things and feel that they dont actually like me. i dont even want to be around them sometimes. am i depressed or is it something else? i haven’t been to the doctors yet and dont really want to go incase they think im uncapable of looking after my kids. im only 19 and want to know as i dont feel i can continue going on feeling like this for much longer. thanks

34. Eff
    Posted January 7, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

I have suffered several bouts of depression over the last 15 years and am currently in the middle of another one. Because I have taken antidepressants in the past, I am in no hurry to take them again – they leave me with a woolly brain and zero emotions, I hate them. I came across your site while looking for natural remedies to help me. I am quite excited about your EPA theory because this bout has gone on for over eight months now and I have started to wonder whether it might be better to just cease existing. My life is not easy (you don’t need to hear the details) but I am a fairly intelligent/independent woman – with good friends -, who really should be able to sort herself out. I can’t. I have tried SO hard, but I can’t do it.

I don’t believe I am Bi-Polar because I don’t get the ‘highs’ you speak about, when not depressed I’m just a regular, if happier, person. I also know the advice about talking to someone is very good advice, but the more depressed I am, the less I talk and the more private I become. I’m old enough to remember the stigma attached to mental illness, which really affects my ability to admit the problem. It seems my normal reasoning just disappears into a black hole labelled “failure”. Worrying has also become a full time occupation, it has taken over my life – and yes, I also worry about the weather an awful lot.

Thanks for this site, thanks for letting me offload some of this stuff, I WILL go and look for the EPA fish oil – and if it helps, I will let you know.

35. evil twin 1
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I have suffered with depression for as long as i can remember when i was younger in my teens my parents took me too a child shrink that didnt work though my doctor wont give me anymore sick notes i remember when i was younger taking anti depressant tablets ( ativan ) they made me think i had been places i hadnt been and made me think i had done or left things in places to go back later to collect said misplaced things only to look silly , i have grown up with the stigma of parents and siblings calling me stupid and thick i cant seem to hold a job for very long my head is telling me i have worked bfore in a previous life in the kitchens of a statley home , I find i lose my temper very easily and i have a problem with discapline i find myself snapping at my kids for stupid things

36. Eff
    Posted February 18, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I did find the EPA fish oil and have to say it seems to be making a difference!! To be truthful, at the moment, it’s a really weird feeling, I’m not exactly back to normal (whatever that is) but I do appear to be coping a lot better; sleep has improved a little; energy levels are getting better and emotionally, I’m a lot more stable. The odd thing is that underneath all these small but valuable improvements, I know I’m still depressed BUT it doesn’t bother me as much as it did – does that sound odd? I am taking 4 a day and hoping that things will carry on getting easier. I’ve only been taking them for 5 weeks so far, so there is still a way to go until I reach the recommended 3 months. I have tried fish oil/omega 3 previously, but not noticed as much difference as I have this time, perhaps your “DHA free” theory is what makes the difference, I don’t know – whatever it is, I am grateful for the suggestion, thank you!

37. darren
    Posted March 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

hi my fiance has been suffering from depression for about 6-8months now… some days she can be fine full of energy and cheery with everyone(the highs) and other days she can be really low,crying not wanting to speak to anyone or even look at them(the lows). i have looked into this and done some research to learn more to help her.but somtimes i just feel worthless and as much as a love her i just cant seem to cheer her up or make her happy or do anything right and its taking its tole on me…is there somthing im doing wrong or are there other things i can do to help?? if so could u help as i would love nothing more than to help her get back to the way she was most happy.

38. simone (18)
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

everytime i feel sad i look up at the sky and think “my 4 angels”u see i lost my mum(42)then my brother(24)then my sister(17)and just their on the 26th of febuary 2010 my dad(48) all within the space of 5 years 3 of them within 14month and both my sister and mum commited suicide, but looking at the sky makes me worse more detrmend that im going to be with them i cant help thinking I WANT TO DIE!! and i shouldnt because i have th most beautifull little boy in the world and hes only 8 month and i am only 18, i have been told i have postnental depression and things like i should see a breavment counceller but its been 5 years and im yet to speak too anybody about it, but when my father passed away its just like im greiving for my hole family at once as i was the youngest i have no one left their only was the 5 of us, im so scared and feel so alone and really think in need help i just dont know what to do!!!.

39. BT
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink

To Simone

Never feel that you are alone, you have been and are still going through a really hard time. Death is not the answer, as you have found out it only hurts those left behind. PLEASE go and talk to your doctor, we often dismiss them as useless, but it would be a start. If you feel that you can not talk once you get there write it all down and give them the paper. It takes a long time to get over the feelings you are having, but the fact you wrote to this site means that you want to move forward. I know you will be feeling guilty, and there is no point me saying don’t, but remember one step at a time. I am almost 30 and have suffered with depression and suicidal thoughts since i was a teenager. The hardest thing for me is asking for help and being truthful, it was only when I attemted suicide about 7 years ago that I began to realise what was wrong with me. Please don’t think that patterns have to repeat themselves, you are you, unique and individual, please stay in contact through the site, I really hope you are able to get the help and advice you deserve good luck x

40. sarahjones
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 12:27 am | Permalink

not really been feeling myself lately and its ruining my relationship. im paranoid all the time thinking that hes cheating on me even though i know realistically he’s not im not sleeping properly and most of the time its a struggle to find a reason to be here anymore. i’ve looked at the symptoms and seem to fit them all which isnt really a surprise to me but dont know where to start looking for help. my doctor doesnt believe in depression and when i spoke to him about how i was feeling a few years ago he told me to toughen up and that depression is just something that people make up when they cant cope with whats going on as an excuse. the way i am at the minute is affecting my whole family and i dont want to spend all my day crying in bed anymore. my mum is trying to support me but without the support of a doctor to diagnose exactly whats wrong i dont know where to start to get my life back on track and not feel like this anymore….

41. ruth
    Posted February 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

sarah, depression isn’t an excuse it is real, take it from someone who has had it for four years. thats awful what your doctor said and im sorry you had to go through that. I would find another doctor and tell them how you feel, even if its a walk in center, or maybe you can find a helpline if you cannot talk to someone face to face. i find it easier to open up to someone if i dont know them. But please dont have let that bad experience deter you from going bak to see someone there are truly good doctors out there, im seeing a doctor who specialises in depression and he is really good. he has advised me that i can either go to councelling or do what is called CBT. Its to help you think more positive about things and turn the negative into positive. You can find out more information on the internet. But remember you are never alone, speak to your boyfriend and tell him how you feel, he is there for you beacuse he loves you i know it’s hard but try not to shut him out open up to him. it is really hard i know, but when you do you will feel better and getting a step closer to being able to cope. remember your not alone and its not an excuse millions of people have it. just because people cant see if doesnt mean your making it up

42. lucy
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Hiii
    Im not sure if I have depression or not but nearly all of the symptoms I can relate to. really don’t want my parents to know because my parents already have a ton of things to worry about. Im really sscared about contacting my school councellor. I justed joined high school and i made new friends but Im not sure if they will really support me. I’ve bee with them for like five months so yeah! Can anyone please help?? Please

43. hayley
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I’m 22 and have 3 young children I’m feeling really low im not sure if it is depression or not im finding simple things a huge task try to make an effort with my appearance but it lasts two seconds my two eldest have the option to go to nursery as not in full Time school yet but latterly im finding myself not being able to take them n then I feel even worse I don’t want to tell my family as I don’t want them to judge me or think that I cant cope same with going to the doctor I don’t want it to carry on as my eldest starting proper school September and cant mess about with all that