depression study

Hi,

My name is Louise Atkins and I am part of a team of researchers conducting an ethically approved research project (11/LO/1287) at the Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College University of London.  We are currently trying to recruit depressed participants.

Our study aims to investigate the effect of a newly developed Cognitive Bias Modification (CBM) training on depression. This is single session study and we pay for the participant’s time. If we identify that CBM training is efficacious in reducing depressive symptoms, this research will shed light on the development of a very cost-effective treatment in mental health.

I was wondering whether we could advertise our study on your website to help us recruit depressed participants?  Is there any procedure we would have to go through to be able to advertise our study on your website?

I would be very grateful if you could get back to me.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require more information  by email (louise.l.atkins@kcl.ac.uk)

Best wishes,
Louise

1. Sally Chewter
    Posted January 6, 2012 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Louise, my own brain injury ocurred on New Year’s Eve last year, so 12 months ago, and it was not due to an accident but to a sudden rupture of a cerebral aneurysm (bubble on an artery in my brain)which I had no idea was there, though they say I was probably born with it. I was in a coma for 7 weeks and incredibly confused for many weeks after that, but this has improved. Physiotherapy has also improved my physical problems greatly, but here in Spain where I live I got no help for the emotional fallout except for some sleeping tablets and mild antidepressants. I still struggle with daily anxiety and depression, a great wave of sadness washes over me about an hour after I wake and I used to cry for about 3 hours and had little interest anything, especially as I was more or less blind until both eyes were operated on to remove blood forced into them by the burst artery. I also had some deafness and tinnitus. It made socialising very difficult. But I spoke on the phone to a client of my husband’s website business who is a psychologist in California and he said I should set myself some little achievable tasks each day and force myself to do them, and go for a brisk arm-swinging walk daily, just enough to get slightly out of breath, force myself to socialise (easier now that I can walk again and my eyes and ears have improved somewhat). He also instructed me to keep a daily journal of my feelings, mood swings and activities so that I can monitor my progress. I have managed to do these things most days and I feel that the depression is slowly lifting, although I still have bad days. As I live in Spain I don’t know if I can participate, but I would be glad to if I can. Please let me know.
    Sally
    Sally

2. andrea fodor
    Posted January 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Hi
    I have suffered depression for the past 8-9 years since having my 1st and only child, have had little councilling due to the limited services the NHS offer, also attempted hypnosis. Am currently taking sertraline antideppresants at 200mg but very up and down.
    if you think you can help or understand depression any better by working together i’m willing to give anything a go???

kind regards
    Andrea

3. Louise Atkins
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Hi,

We are still looking for participants to take part in this research project which will be taking place in London.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would be interested in taking part.

Best wishes,
    Louise
    07939200525
    louise.l.atkins@kcl.ac.uk

4. dee knight
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

have had depression on and off since age 14 i am trying to understand why and also to get well and stay well without using anti depressants iamvery interested in taking part in your study and would like more details

5. Louise Atkins
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Dear Sally,

I’m so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I am afraid the research is taking place in London and so would not be suitable for you. Thank you so much for your interest anyway.

Take care and best wishes,
    Louise

6. Louise Atkins
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Dear Andrea,

Thank you so much for your interest. The research is taking place in London, would you be able to come to London for a session? If so I would be really keen to speak to you to answer any questions you might have about the research and to ask you a few questions to see if you would be eligible to take part. Would you be able to email me your phone number and then I could call you and send you more information? My email is: louise.l.atkins@kcl.ac.uk

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
    Louise

7. Louise Atkins
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Dear Dee,

Thank you so much for your interest. Please could you send me an email to louise.l.atkins@kcl.ac.uk and then I will be able to send you more information?
    Best wishes,
    Louise

8. admin
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Please note , louise has the permission of the site Admin to post- advertise for this study on the site , anyone else wishing to do so must contact admin via the contact page.

Thanks